Data Engineering (Fall Intern)
UNPAID - ACADEMIC CREDITS REQUIRED
Our purpose at Changing Room is to move people towards more sustainable decisions, starting with the fashion industry. Changing Room aims to bring environmental transparency to the fashion industry by empowering consumers to make more sustainable purchases. We provide a solution where consumers can find the environmental ratings of their favorite brand’s fashion products, and receive more eco-responsible products suggestions.
Changing Room is composed of dynamic and open-minded individuals that deeply care about making a positive change in the industry. We recently joined the Columbia Startup Lab and have WeWork offices in West SoHo, Manhattan. Changing Room was incubated through Columbia University’s Summer Startup Track 2020 and won the competition grant prize. We presented in the New York TechDay, the largest startup event in the U.S., acted as jury for the Global Circular Challenge at the London School of Economics. We presentated at the University of Oxford May 2021.
Under the Covid-19 pandemic, our team currently operates remotely.
A key component for the growth of Changing Room is our backend structure for our rating algorithm and the integration with our web application hosted on AWS. We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join our IT team!
We are looking for a data engineer that will help consolidate our data collection pipelines. Your primary focus will be in the automation of the data collection flow from the web scraping, optimization of the database updates. There is space to incorporate learning algorithm to extract missing data from embedded data structures.
As a data engineer at Changing Room, you will:
- Collect data and develop automated web scrapping using tools such as Selenium or Puppeteer (preferred)
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Using SQL to update the data from our databases
- working with AWS RDS Postgres database
You’re great for this role if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree or more in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience with the core AWS services (Huge bonus)
- Good background in Linux/Unix administration.
- Establish Back-End Software Engineer best practices.
- Work autonomously, are excited by new technologies, and will never back down from the challenges of scale.
- Past experience with the serverless approaches using AWS Lambda is a plus.
- Knowledge in database systems SQL and NoSQL.
- Experience with Airflow, AWS Lambda (bonus)
Changing Room is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.