Associate Performance Engineer
Sol Systems (“Sol”) is seeking an Associate Performance Engineer who will help facilitate onboarding and management of operational PV projects to support Sol’s growing portfolio. This is a great opportunity for recent college graduates with a degree in Engineering. The role will join the Asset Management team and report up to the Director of Performance Engineering. The role will focus on (i) monitoring, managing, and preparing technical reports on C&I and utility scale solar and storage projects; (ii) maintaining existing and developing new tools to create efficiencies in Asset Management functions; (iii) providing engineering support to resolve issues.
As Sol Systems’ base of customers and projects grows, asset management will play an increasingly vital role for the company. The Asset Management Group helps Sol’s clients manage their solar investments through technical and financial analysis and advisory services. The Group also supports Sol Systems’ strategic vision by monitoring the company’s direct investments, managing financial exposure from existing contracts and advising the company on strategic initiatives. The group provides real world feedback to internal and external stakeholders from technical analysis on the operating portfolio.
Sol Systems designs and delivers comprehensive procurement and investment solutions for businesses, municipalities, and institutional investors to achieve sustainability goals and community impact. Sol Systems was founded in 2008 and has grown into a national leading integrated platform that includes infrastructure assets, commodity and financial services, customer service and asset management. Sol has over a gigawatt of solar projects with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base.
The Associate Performance Engineer will be responsible for:
- Proactively identifying, addressing, and resolving concerns, risks, and questions about system performance and construction
- Building and streamlining internal processes and tools to achieve efficiency, accuracy, and scalability, especially for large-scale performance data and analytics
- Utilizing various tools and software platforms to support commissioning and onboarding of solar projects as they transition from construction to operations
- Maintaining a database of existing and future distributed generation and utility assets by entering maintenance events, performance data, key milestone dates, equipment sets, spare parts, etc. and validating record integrity by cross referencing with source data.
- Ensuring that the company adheres to contractual reporting requirements related to the performance of assets and trend analysis of issues that occur, as well as suggesting process improvements and generating correspondence to O&M subcontractors.
- Administering warranty/performance guarantees by ensuring minimum production guarantees are met with regards to the EPC/O&M contracts
- Working with external partners such as O&M service providers, equipment manufacturers, software companies, site hosts, and investors
- Promoting a continuous improvement culture by providing feedback from the field to Sol’s Origination, Development, Engineering, and Constructions teams
- Occasional travel required to PV construction and operational sites
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Zero to two years of work experience.
- A strong desire to work in the solar energy industry.
- Proficiency with data science and data visualization tools such as Python and Power BI
- Strong quantitative skills including statistics, data mining and analysis, root cause analysis, and the ability to extract meaningful and actionable conclusions from large data sets
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to succinctly summarize complex technical issues, both in writing and verbally.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Hard working, detail and process oriented, self-starter, curious, values continuous learning, and the ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines
- Calm, positive attitude in stressful situations
Location & Hours: This is a full-time role and will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Deadline: We hope to hire for these positions immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other traits. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.